Monday, April 24, 2006

4 squares quilted. A zillion to go.

Ok, so The Girl can reasonably not expect to get a quilt for her birthday this year. Maybe Christmas.

I am now in the throws (throes?) of attempting to make a table cloth for my sister. She has a table that is 64 x 64. They just don't make table cloths that size. So I'm making her one. I bought two 50 x 70 table cloths to sew into one. Trouble is, I didn't think about the fact that 1) the pattern is plaid, and so will be impossible to match up, and 2) I am not a math genius.

Needless to say, the first time I sewed it I tried to put a faux table runner down the middle to camoflauge the lack of pattern matching. It looked dorky and also my math skills totally screwed it up.

So. I cut out the faux table runner and will instead be creating only one french seam, pattern be damned. Maybe I'll make her a real table runner to put over top of the seam.

Also, my mom gave me this knitting book for my birthday and now I want to knit something. I am so easily molded, people. Just give it to me to read, and any project you want done (maybe not very well, though) can get there. And...get this...I actually chose a sweater as my first project from the book. The instructions say it can be done in a weekend, so I am going to give myself a modestly larger amount of time (about 2.5 weeks) to make my mom a sweater for Mother's day. I know it is getting into summer and she won't be able to use it, but I think she would like it.

Anyways. If I ever get any of those three projects done (oh, and the curtains for the kitchen which are now obsolete since the kids destroyed the fabric that I recovered the chairs with) I'll post a picture. If I get to it. He.

3 comments:

  1. You are ambitious, girl. I still haven't finished my curtains for the dining room! I've been selfishly doing homework and reading library books for fun instead. I basically only have time for one hobby at a time...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I could finish a project. I'm like you, a million little projects, and no end in sight. And now my new B&N online class starts Monday. So there'll be no time for anything.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my a sweater as a first project?
    Hmm I would have suggested a hat or a scarf since you will be learning the stitches and learning about guage. You are far more brave than I am!

    I have yet to make an adult sweater and it took all I could do to make the child size olympic sweater, during the windeter olympics.

    May the fiber craft gods smile upon you oh courageous knittter, quilter, sewing goddess!

    What was the knitting book that you are going to use?

    I am not sure if knitting instructions via phone are helpful but I offer my knitting knowledge to you. Maybe when I move back to Ohio we can knit together and LogoAnn can finish her curtains while we knit. Oops, did I just imply that the curtains wouldn't be done until September or later - oh no.

    ReplyDelete