Tuesday, December 01, 2009

So...happy year to you...

Well it has been a long time since I posted. What a naughty blogger I am. So why blog now? Well, something quilty is on my mind and I thought I'd ask what people think here. I could just ask the members of either guild I belong to but that would be too predictable.

So here is what I'm wondering. Have you ever gone to a guild meeting and looked around and thought, hmm. There are few young(er - because youth is sometimes relative) people in this room. Is there a way to get more young(er) people interested in quilting?

What do you think? Quilting does have a bit of an old-lady reputation. But so does knitting and somehow the knitters have broken through to a broad array of age groups. How can quilting do that? What was the appeal for knitting? (For the record, I do know how to knit and have even gone so far as to make a pair of mittens and also a sweater...but I must have bad form because it makes my hands hurt something awful.)

2 comments:

  1. Hi!

    I totally understand how you feel about the guild. I used to go to a local quilt guild but I quit because it was like a gramma's chat room!!! It was nice to get to know those people but I felt so isolated. Since then I've been thinking about teaching quilt to youth.... I have not found any better way to do so, though.
    I'm glad you are wondering about what I've thinking also.

    Thanks your comment on my blog!!

    Tak

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I for one, am one of the old ladies in a guild......and I think the best way to get the yonger ladies interested is to get people your own age involved. Do a guild project and invite them. Pick up some of that new hip fabric and make an awesome laptop sleeve, or a butt kicking messenger bag, lunch carrier, gift for a co worker. Make them want to do what you do. If they see how much fun it can be, how creative they can be, how unique their gifts to family and friends can be, you might spark some interest. Or just tell them you would be glad to teach them to sew or offer to take a class with them. It can also make you a greener person and sometimes, save money! Good Luck. RC

    ReplyDelete